Saturday 25 March 2017

Using What I've Learned!

The other day I had to complete a Unit Plan for Grade 7 Geography, Strand B- Natural Resources Around the World: Use and Sustainability. While creating the unit plan, one of the requirements was to create a fun and engaging lesson. I thought about it for some time, and then it clicked. I could use all of the information that I have learned from my Genius Hour (implementing video games into the classroom) to create an engaging lesson! So, that is exactly what I did. I reviewed my research and found a great game that aligned nicely with the curriculum expectations of the unit. It is called Don't Starve, and it is action-adventure video game with survival elements. The goal of the game is to help the character, Wilson, survive as long as possible. In order to survive, students must use natural resources from the environment to meet Wilson's needs and sustain his life. This game aligns nicely with the third Big Idea of the unit, as well as the specific expectation B3.2. This assignment really solidified my belief that video games can easily be aligned with curriculum expectations to create engaging and motivating lessons. Video games also have different settings (sand box mode, easy, medium hard, etc.), so differentiation can be seamlessly embedded!

No comments:

Post a Comment